Alexandrite – Chromium doped chrysoberyl
Absorption range 380-630 nm | Emission 755 nm
Even though Alexandrite (Cr3+:BeAl2O4) can be found as natural gemstone, 3photon laser grade alexandrite is artificially grown. Due to toxic properties of beryllium, alexandrite crystals are grown only by few companies worldwide.
Alexandrite crystal has low symmetry and strong birefringence which allows to obtain linearly polarized emission without significant loss in depolarization.
Lasers with alexandrite laser medium do not operate well at room temperature, however they perform significantly better at higher temperatures.
Alexandrite is widely used in medical lasers, mostly in dermatology, because alexandrite lasers have wide tuning range from 700 nm to 860 nm centered around 755 nm and low absorption in water allows to penetrate deeper into the skin.
As supplemental product 3photon can provide standard or custom alexandrite crystal oven in order to keep desired temperatures and ensure the best possible performance of alexandrite crystal.
- Medical applications
- Other applications
- Absorption range 380-630 nm with peaks at 410 nm and 590 nm;
- Tuning range from 700 nm to 860 nm (main lasing wavelength at 755 nm);
- Low symmetry (orthorhombic crystal structure);
- Strong birefringence;
- Small cross-section (high saturation fluence);
- Performance is enhanced at higher temperatures (90-150 °C).
- Laser assisted surgery;
- Laser tattoo removal;
- Treatment of visible veins;
- Laser hair removal;
- Laser nevus (birthmark) removal;
- Kidney stone removal and other lithotripsy procedures;
- Tooth calculus removal;
- Laser micro-matching (e.g. etching, wielding, drilling, marking, etc.);
- Light detection and ranging (LIDAR) system;
- Photochemical (SHG to 375 nm);
- Metrology (testing) of fiber optics;
- Pumping other lasers (e.g. Nd:YAG (Nd:Y3Al5O12), Cr:Forsterite (Cr:Mg2SiO4), Dye lasers, etc.);
- Broad wavelength tunable lasers.
Have questions ?
Call us +370 618 35333, email us firstname.lastname@example.org or fill contact form and we will contact You!